Defensive Driving Course

Please email drive to request the course, do not self assign on Learning Central.

The University of New Mexico's Defensive Driving request form is now on Learning Central! if you do not have a Learning Central Account, please contact for further assistance.

Requesting a Course via Email:

1. Email requesting the Defensive Driving Course and include your New Mexico License Number in the email. 

¿Necesitas el curso en español?

1.  Mandé un correo electrónico a solicitando el Curso de Manejo Defensivo y incluya su número de licencia del Estado de Nuevo México.


  1. I haven't heard back about my course request and it's been over 3 business days; who do I contact? 
    • Please email to inquire about the status of your submission. It may be that the submission was not submitted right, or we are waiting on pending information. 
  2. I'm not sure if my license is valid; how do I check this information? 
    • You'll have to contact the MVD to check on your license, or we can pull the information if it is a New Mexico License.
  3. I took this course before at a different State job, can I just use my old certificate? 
    • Unfortunately, no. Insurance requires specific training from the University rather than another state entity. 
  4. Why do I have to send over my driving history record for any out-of-state licenses? Why can't EHS pull the record?
    • Because each state has different licensing requirements, we can only access the New Mexico MVD Database. We do not have jurisdiction over different states and cannot check the licenses. 
  5. Why is this course every 4 years now instead of every 5?
  6. I had an account on Learning Central, but it's inactive. When can it be reactivated? 
    • Once the paperwork is processed through the Affiliate Account process, it could take anywhere from 24-48 hours for the account to be fully active. This is an internal security measure and cannot be sped up, regardless of the urgency.

Course Information:

  1. To be eligible to drive a UNM-owned vehicle, an employee or student must:
    1. take the UNM Defensive Driving Course; and
    2. hold a valid New Mexico Driver’s License;
  2. For contractors to be eligible to drive a UNM-owned vehicle, a contractor must:
    1. take the UNM Defensive Driving Course; and
    2. hold a valid New Mexico Driver’s License;
    3. be authorized by the contract manager;
    4. be on official UNM business; and
    5. have a valid UNM contract that provides that UNM vehicles may be used.
    6. Note: Contractors must pay $43.00 for each course.
  3. DDC Online access is set for a 1-month period.
  4. To be eligible to drive a UNM-owned vehicle, non-resident employees or students must obtain certification from their resident state showing that they hold a valid driver’s license in that state. This certification must be obtained at their own cost or at the cost of the department. International driver’s licenses will not be accepted.
  5. When a UNM employee or student registers for DDC, they will acknowledge that EHS will perform driver background checks.
  6. If a UNM employee or student is driving their own personal vehicle while on UNM business, their personal insurance coverage is considered primary.
  7. The process and verification can take up to three business days.