Workers' Compensation

Please send any Workers' Compensation questions or documents to 

The University of New Mexico (UNM) provides coverage and certain forms of compensation to employees who incur an injury or illness arising out of and in the course of their employment. The New Mexico Workers' Compensation Program administers these compensation payments and covers any person receiving a salary or wage from and acting in the service of the University.

Injured at work? Unsure if you need to report an incident? 

All work-related accidents and/or illnesses that require medical attention or that may require medical attention in the future must be reported to the employee's immediate supervisor. The immediate supervisor will ensure that Risk Services receives both a UNM First Report of Accident form (Branch Campuses and outside of ABQ) and a Notice of Accident form within twenty-four (24) hours from the time the employee's supervisor was informed of the accident.

If an employee is involved in a work-related accident but does not appear to require treatment or corrective action, the employee must complete a Notice of Accident form to preserve his or her rights under Workers' Compensation. The employee should complete the form as soon as possible, but no later than fifteen (15) days after the injury occurs. The employee should send the form to:

UNM Risk Services
MSC01 1210
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131

Failure to meet the fifteen (15) day deadline could jeopardize coverage under the Workers' Compensation Program.

For additional information, you may contact your department’s designated HR consultant or refer to the Workers Compensation Resource Guide.

Wondering what forms to fill out? Need help filling them out? Please click here for more information.

Seeking medical treatment but don't know what to do with the forms? Visit our Seeking Medical Treatment page for more information.